You win Catan by being the first player to get 10 victory points but what are they and how do you get them?
Victory points are how you win Catan and most of the Catan Versions. You obtain victory points, sometimes called simply ‘VP’, by building cities and settlements, and earning victory point cards like Largest Army or Longest Road.
Victory points are also a measure of a player’s progress towards winning the game. It’s very difficult to establish how many Victory Points other players so it can be tricky to work out how well you are doing in the game.
There are several ways to earn victory points in Catan, including:
- Building settlements and cities: Each settlement is worth 1 victory point, and each city is worth 2 victory points.
- Holding the “Longest Road” card: The player who has the longest continuous road on the game board earns 2 victory points.
- Holding the “Largest Army” card: The player who has the most Knight cards (a special type of development card) earns 2 victory points.
- Purchasing certain development cards: Some development cards have victory points as their primary function.
Fun Facts about Victory Points in Catan
- Victory points are often abbreviated as “VP” in the game.
- In some versions of the game, victory points are represented by physical tokens or markers that players collect as they earn them.
- The artwork on the victory point cards in Catan often features a laurel wreath, a traditional symbol of victory and achievement.
- Since victory points are hidden information in Catan, it can sometimes be difficult to tell which player is in the lead until someone reaches 10 points or the game ends. This adds an element of strategy and uncertainty to the game.
How many Victory Points does it take to win Catan?
In the original game of Catan it just takes 10 Victory Points to win.
Scoring in Catan
Settlement – 1 victory point
Cities – 2 victory points
Longest Road of five or more – 2 victory points
Largest Army of three or more – 2 victory points
For more information on how to get the longest road, or the largest army, do read our Top 7 Catan Strategies post.
How many Victory Points does it take to win Seafarers?
In Seafarers the game ends as soon as a player reaches 13 victory points on their turn. Although there are eight unique scenarios in the Seafarers rule book and to win you might need 12 victory points, although usually 13 are needed.
Scoring in Seafarers Catan
The scoring in Seafarers Catan varies depending on which of the eight unique scenarios you play. Check out What is Catan Seafarers for more information.
How many Victory Points does it take to win Game Of Thrones Catan?
In Game of Thrones Catan it takes 10 Victory Points to win.
Scoring in Game of Thrones Catan: Brotherhood of the Watch
Settlement – 1 victory point
Keeps – 2 victory points
Longest Road of five or more – 1 victory point
Largest Patrol of three or more – 1 victory point
Guards on the wall
More than 2 guards on the wall – 1 victory point,
More than 4 guards on the wall – earn an additional victory point.
How many Victory Points does it take to win Struggle for Catan?
Struggle for Catan ends when a player reaches 10 victory points. Victory points are earned by building structures, completing objectives, and earning special cards.
Use special cards and abilities strategically: Special cards and abilities can provide a significant advantage in the game, so it’s important to use them strategically. Look for opportunities to use these cards and abilities to gain an edge over your opponents or to achieve victory points.
How many Victory Points does it take to win Catan Explorers’ Pirates Land Ho
You win “Land Ho!” if you reach 8 victory points (VP) on your turn.