Elasund is a board game designed by Klaus Teuber and published by Mayfair Games in 2005. The game is set in the 17th century on the island of Catan, which is a fictional place in a series of games created by Teuber. The narrative element of Elasund is central to the gameplay and helps to immerse players in the world of the game.
Guide To Elasund, The First City Of Catan
Elasund is growing rapidly and Catanians are streaming into the city, eager to make a fortune! You are appointed to help the city develop. You heed the call to drive the city’s growth and prosperity.
In the game, players take on the role of master builders competing to construct the most impressive buildings in the city of Elasund, which is set in the Catan universe.
The aim is to hire workers, acquire building materials. Limited resources early on will limit players to a few small buildings. However building connections will provide you with all the necessary building permits. In Elasund, nothing works without building permits!
Once buildings are constructed, they can generate either gold or influence for you. Then you can start going after bigger projects! Soon enough you may become involved in grander projects, such as building the church or the city walls. However all the time your opponents are aiming for the same and will take every opportunity to thwart your plans.
The game is played on a board divided into a grid of squares representing the city. Players use resources such as brick, wood, and stone to build structures such as homes, churches, and marketplaces. Each building provides points, and the player with the most points at the end of the game is declared the winner.
The board looks totally different however with a similar aim to Catan, to build and grow.
Elasund is notable for being the first game in the Catan series to incorporate a narrative element, as well as for its unique gameplay mechanics and strategic depth. It has been well-received by both casual and hardcore gamers and is considered a classic of the Euro-style board game genre.
What Is The Key Objective of Elasund, The First City of Catan
The key objective of Elasund is to score victory points by constructing buildings, attracting settlers, and fulfilling certain objectives. The game is played over several rounds, with each round representing a year in the city of Elasund’s history. Players take turns building buildings, attracting settlers, and managing resources to grow their city and earn victory points.
Victory points are earned by constructing buildings, each of which has a victory point value, attracting settlers to those buildings, and fulfilling certain objectives such as having the most buildings of a certain type or having the largest amount of a particular resource. The game ends when a player reaches a certain number of victory points, which varies depending on the number of players, and the player with the most victory points at the end of the game is the winner.
In order to achieve the key objective of scoring victory points, players must carefully manage their resources, balance their building and settlement strategies, and respond to the various events and challenges that arise throughout the game. Successful players will need to adapt their strategies to changing circumstances and make shrewd decisions to outmaneuver their opponents and emerge victorious in the city of Elasund.
How to Play Elasund, The First City Of Catan
- Set up the game board: The game board is set up with a central market area and a number of building sites around the perimeter. Each building site has a corresponding deck of building cards, which are shuffled and placed face down on the board.
- Distribute resources: Players receive a starting hand of resource cards, which include wood, stone, food, and gold.
- Determine turn order: Players roll dice to determine the turn order for the first round.
- Take turns: On a player’s turn, they can take up to three actions, which can include:
- Building: Players can pay resources to construct a building on one of the building sites. Each building has a cost in resources, as well as a victory point value.
- Attracting settlers: Players can spend resources to attract settlers to their buildings. Settlers provide benefits such as additional resources, victory points, or special abilities.
- Collecting resources: Players can collect resources from the central market area or from their own buildings.
- Playing event cards: Event cards can be played to provide strategic advantages or disrupt opponents’ plans.
- Manage resources: Throughout the game, players must manage their resources carefully to ensure they have enough to build buildings, attract settlers, and respond to events.
- Score victory points: Victory points are earned by constructing buildings, attracting settlers, and fulfilling certain objectives. The game ends when a player reaches a certain number of victory points, and the player with the most points at the end of the game is the winner.
Tips For Winning Elasund, First City of Catan
Here are some tips that can help you improve your chances of winning:
- Focus on victory points: The ultimate objective of Elasund is to score victory points, so it’s important to keep this goal in mind throughout the game. Prioritize building and attracting settlers to structures that provide the most victory points, and be mindful of the victory point goals that are in play.
- Manage resources effectively: Resources are a finite commodity in Elasund, so it’s important to manage them effectively. Try to maintain a balanced supply of resources, and avoid overspending on buildings or settlers that drain your resources too quickly.
- Adapt to changing circumstances: Events can have a major impact on the game, and can often disrupt the best-laid plans. Be prepared to adapt your strategy in response to events, and consider playing event cards strategically to gain an advantage over your opponents.
- Build strategically: Consider the location and type of buildings that you construct carefully. Some building types provide greater benefits than others, and placing buildings strategically can help you attract settlers and gain resources more efficiently.
- Keep an eye on your opponents: Pay attention to what your opponents are doing, and try to anticipate their moves. By doing so, you can gain a strategic advantage and prevent them from scoring victory points.
- Balance building and attracting settlers: Building structures is important for gaining victory points, but attracting settlers is also critical for gaining resources and unlocking special abilities. Strike a balance between building and attracting settlers, and consider which structures are most likely to attract the settlers you need.
- Take advantage of special abilities: Some buildings and settlers have special abilities that can be used to gain advantages in the game. Be sure to take advantage of these abilities, and look for opportunities to use them strategically to gain an edge over your opponents.
By following these tips and developing your own strategic approach, you can increase your chances of winning Elasund and becoming the most successful builder in the city.